Tuesday, January 19, 2010

FREAKS Trailer

FREAKS directed pproduced and edited by Nadin Zubareva
Adapted from the novel "FREAKS and Revelations" by Davida Willis Hurwin

MOTHER: Helena Bonham Carter


JASON: (young) Elijah Wood
DOUG: Kellan Lutz

VOICE OVER: Coming in June 2011
A tale of two lives
Two lives which were drastically different


MOTHER: “ Blessed Father, I know I have sinned. I have many crosses to bear. Help me, Father, for I cannot bear them alone.” The rest of the family, especially a boy with piercingly beautiful eyes, Jason, doesn’t even mouth the words

The scene switches two a second family, showing a father hitting his two sons, one of whom is Dougm and then yelling at their mother.

Doug is getting a tattoo in a basement, and screaming loudly, taking a swig of whiskey from a bottle and yelling even louder.

VOICEOVER: Two lives which were unbearably similar

It switches to a ballet studio, soft Mozart plays in the background, along with a ballet teachers remarks. Jason is standing at the in another boy’s arms, “Oh my god, you have such beautiful eyes,” the other boy says and kisses him.

Tattoo boy is playing in a punk band, the music is harsh and loud, as are the lyrics, he is yelling into the mike.

VOICE OVER: Two lives that were spinning out of control

Jason is standing outside of his doorway with a backpack,
MOTHER:(from the house) “You take it back or you will burn in hell!”
JASON:“But Mommy, if God made me gay, then –”
MOTHER:“Don’t you dare say that word with his name! No son of mine is going to hell! Go on, then. See how you like living with the perverts.” The door slams

Doug takes a pill then another
He is moshing at a show; his head is bald and covered with many more tattoos.
His friend taps him on the shoulder, they’re at a burger place, tattoo boy sees something that disgusts him

Doug: “Look at those fags across the street, they’re fucking everywhere, taking up our territory!” They turn and walk towards the boy with beautiful eyes, and three others.

VOICEOVER: … Until they finally collided

Jason is shaking on the ground, Doug is towering above him. He lifts his leg, and the screen goes black. And all that is heard is the crunch of bone.
Freaks” flashes onto the screen in big bold letters.

1 comment:

  1. N,
    I know you were trying to help us visualize, but I found the dialogue parts of your trailer (both the narrator and actors) much stronger than the stage queues. I think we would have got it with less queues and a bit of clever narration. I think the stage direction is a bit like telling in prose.

    ReplyDelete